Type-III Humans , also known as parahumans or metahumans, are a new form of supernaturally powered humans to emerge, with the first documented case appearing in 1983. They comprise roughly one in every 1 million people as of 2029. The population density changes based on location, with more Type-IIIs living in rural areas as opposed to cities due to the fear and paranoia surrounding them.
The exact mechanics behind the reality-bending abilities possessed by Type-III Humans are uncertain but much speculated about, the prevailing and most likely theory being the presence of a nigh-undetectable field referred to as the DPF (distorted perception field),
- Can be generated by certain individuals following sufficient mental trauma and is a specified manifestation of a normally much weaker and more generalized reality warping ability.
- The size of the field determines the area which they can affect and its density determines how powerful the ability is in terms of raw energy output.
- Activated Type-IIIs can be detected at close range with 80% accuracy using specialized equipment that indexes the distortion of local reality. This equipment tends to be too large, expensive, and sensitive to be made portable or widespread.
The outright strength of powered abilities varies greatly, but it appears to be linked to the age at which they were activated.
- Younger activations generating stronger powers on average, though obviously at higher cost to the person’s psyche due to the requirements for activation.
- Powers generally form in response to the specific conditions of the trauma. For example, a physically abused child may develop either a physical defense or a means of escape depending on their mindset.
- Powers can be activated at any age. While it is barely documented, a secondary activation is possible, if similar conditions to the initial activation are met but greatly exceeded in magnitude. Secondary activations result in a massive spike in power, but at an equal loss of control. Sometimes their mind is nearly entirely consumed by their ability, resulting in a mindless force of nature that is either killed or kills itself.
Powers are never “straightforward”, such as superhuman strength or durability. While such things may be granted, it is always as a secondary mechanic to a primary ability such a skintight forcefield that can store and release energy.
- All powers appear to have a plausible mechanism on the surface, though the explanation collapses rapidly under scrutiny. For example, a pyrokinetic would appear to be modifying the friction coefficient of air and objects, but how they are doing so is purely reality-warping that is not understood fully by other humans.
Restrictions of movement
Type-IIIs are barred from participation in military conflict or even military service in peacetime by the UN treaty, and in the United States they are not allowed to serve as law enforcement. This has not stopped the emergence of illegal vigilantes or warlords (especially in third world countries, where activation-level trauma is common and the government is too weak to fight back), and in order to combat this a specialized international organization known as the Advanced Extranormal Containment and Investigation Force was formed.
Some Type-IIIs are employed by the Advanced Extranormal Containment and Investigation Force
- Only when absolutely necessary, and they are kept under heavy supervision during field operations.
- Otherwise, they typically live in AECIF bases outside of the public eye (though the existence of the Protectorate is not secret, their bases are treated similarly to military bases, and are not open aside from authorized visits by family members or loved ones).
All citizens in UN Regulatory Treaty-compliant nations are required to report to the nearest AECIF base for registration as soon as they become aware of their powers.
- A background check is performed, and all past crimes are recorded before a psychological analysis is conducted in order to create a profile of the subject's mental state. This is used to assess their likelihood of committing future crimes.
- Lastly, the subject’s powers are thoroughly tested and then assigned threat ratings. Subjects with sufficiently dangerous powers may be sent directly to the Dome. This includes powers that operate exponentially or in an epidemic fashion, powers that can usurp free will on a large scale, and powers that can cause destruction on a citywide scale within a certain time frame.
Once a Type-III has been registered, they are given a stainless steel bracelet to wear whenever they are outside of property that they own.
- Not wearing the bracelet or removing it when doing so is not officially sanctioned is classified as a summary offence, and can be upgraded to a misdemeanor or felony if the crime is repeated.
- These bracelets are tamper resistant, setting off an alarm to nearby AECIF and police personnel if damaged, and contain an RFID chip that holds all of the information collected during the interview and power testing. Whether or not the bracelet actively monitors the location of the wearer is decided on a case-by-case basis.